xford Law Prof alarmed at "police’s Mossad-style execution" of innocent ’suspect’
by : John Gardner
Tuesday July 26, 2005 - 19:03
John Gardner is the Professor of Jurisprudence at the University of Oxford, and occasional Visiting Professor at Yale Law School.
Police state: Like many of my fellow-Londoners I am less alarmed by suicide bombers than I am by the police’s Mossad-style execution of a ’suspect’ (who turned out to be a completely innocent passer-by) on Friday 22 July. This is not because we are at greater risk of death at the hands of the police than at the hands of the bombers. (Both risks are pretty tiny, but of the two the risk posed by the police is clearly smaller). Rather, it is because, all else being equal, it is worse to be killed by one’s friends than by one’s enemies, and worse to be killed by people in authority than by people not in authority.
Here are some other important things to remember in thinking about the police actions of 22 July:
(1) There is no general legal duty to assist the police or to obey police instructions. Rice v Connolly  2 QB 414.
(2) There are special police powers to arrest and search. But there is no special police licence to injure or kill. If they injure or kill, the police need to rely on the same law as the rest of us.
(3) The law allows those who use force in prevention of crime to use only necessary and proportionate force. Jack Straw and Sir Ian Blair say that officers are under great pressure. But this is no excuse. In law, as in morality, being under extra pressure gives us no extra latitude for error in judging how much force is proportionate or necessary. R v Clegg  1 A.C. 482.
(4) Arguably, the police should be held to higher standards of calm under pressure than the rest of us. Certainly not lower!
(5) The necessity and proportionality of the police use of force is to be judged on the facts as they believed them to be: R v Williams 78 Cr. App R 276. This does create latitude for factual error. In my view it creates too much latitude. The test should be reasonable belief. The police may be prejudiced like the rest of us, and may treat the fact that someone is dark-skinned as one reason to believe that he is a suicide bomber. But in court this reason should not count.
(6) It is no defence in law that the killing was authorised by a superior officer. A superior officer who authorises an unlawful killing is an accomplice. R v Clegg  1 A.C. 482.
(7) The fact that those involved were police officers is irrelevant to the question of whether to prosecute them. It is a basic requirement of the Rule of Law that, when suspected of crimes, officials are subject to the same policies and procedures as the rest of us.
(8) Some people say: Blame the terrorists, not the police. But blame is not a zero-sum game. The fact that one is responding to faulty actions doesn’t mean one is incapable of being at fault oneself. We may blame Tony Blair for helping to create the conditions in which bombing appeals to people, without subtracting any blame from the bombers. We may also blame the bombers for creating the conditions in which the police act under pressure, without subtracting blame from the police if they overreact. Everyone is responsible for their own faulty actions, never mind the contribution of others. This is the moral position as well as the position in criminal law.
Proposed new anti-terrorist offences: The one that has been variously labelled as ’condoning’ or ’glorifying’ or ’indirectly inciting’ terrorism gives cause for concern. It is already an offence to incite another person to commit an act of terrorism (Terrorism Act 2000 s59). In which respects, we may wonder, is the scope of this offence to be extended? The word ’indirect’ suggests that they mean to catch those who incite the s59 inciter. But under general doctrines of English criminal law it is already an offence to incite the s59 inciter. So one suspects some other extension of the existing offence is being cooked up. Is the plan to criminalise the mere defence or endorsement of a terrorist act? If so we are in for trouble. Terrorism in English law is defined to cover all modes of political violence, however trifling. Are academics and commentators no longer to be permitted to defend any political violence? Is Ted Honderich’s Violence for Equality, or Peter Singer’s Democracy and Disobedience, to be put on the banned books list? The only thing protecting these books at the moment is that, in the eyes of the law, an argued endorsement is not an incitement. The thought that the government may be thinking of changing this should send a shiver down the spine of anyone who still has a spine (damn few).
Lord Hoffman in A v Home Secretary  2 WLR 87: ’The real threat to the life of the nation ... comes not from terrorism but from laws like these.’ Quite right. Some extra risk of being blown up by fanatics on the way to work is one of the prices we pay for living in a free society. Let’s make sure we keep it that way.
Seattle Police Officers Begin New Anti-Terror Training
... by the same people who taught the London cops how to shoot an innocent Brazilian man 8 times while he was pinned to the ground.
THE UNFORGIVABLE EVIL
Saturday 25 - 01:55by David R. Hoffman, Legal Editor of Pravda.Report
Trump repeal of the Affordable Care Act will kill 43,000 Americans over 8 years
Saturday 18 - 00:32by Dr Gideon Polya
Free university education - tertiary education can and should be free for all
Thursday 9 - 06:29by Dr Gideon Polya
QUOTING AMERICA’S FOUNDING FATHERS ON IMMIGRATION OR ANYTHING
Tuesday 7 - 18:51by JOHN CHUCKMAN
THE POINTLESS ARGUMENT OVER WHO WAS FIRST IN THE HOLY LAND
Tuesday 7 - 18:49by JOHN CHUCKMAN
YES OBAMA IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CRIMEA AND THE MESS IN UKRAINE
Tuesday 7 - 18:48by JOHN CHUCKMAN
8th. March -----The Modi-fied International Women’s Day In Gujarat
Tuesday 7 - 15:20by Dwarika Nath Rath
ON THE GREAT MYSTERY OF INTENSE HOSTILITY TOWARDS LIBERALS IN AMERICA - OBAMA
Monday 6 - 19:30by JOHN CHUCKMAN
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT PRESS BIAS, FAKE NEWS, DISHONEST JOURNALISM
Sunday 26 - 17:52by JOHN CHUCKMAN
TWO STATES OR ONE STATE? THE STARK REALITY IS THAT BOTH SOLUTIONS ARE IMPOSSIBL
Wednesday 22 - 18:16by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Open Letter to Australian MPs re Apartheid Israel PM Netanyahu’s Australia visit
Tuesday 21 - 00:18by Dr Gideon Polya
How Eric Arnoux and Fabrice Molinaro target the First Ammendment
Thursday 9 - 18:40by Billy1975
THE CHANCE FOR GREATNESS, BUT IT IS SO EASILY LOST
Saturday 28 - 20:19by JOHN CHUCKMAN
TRUMP: AMERICA’S HITLER
Saturday 28 - 04:07by David R. Hoffman
LUNATIC EXCESSES IN THE WASHINGTON MARCH - WHILE IGNORING MASS MURDER
Monday 23 - 19:19by JOHN CHUCKMAN
JOHN CHUCKMAN COMMENT: EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SO-CALLED DOSSIER
Monday 16 - 15:08by JOHN CHUCKMAN
The Rotten Apple in The Prince’s Crown
Friday 13 - 18:44by RegisFranck
Christophe Mazurier takes part in the Hero World Challenge
Friday 13 - 11:43
OF WIZARDS AND WASHINGTON AND THE DREARY, UNRELENTING REALITY OF AMERICAN POLITI
Thursday 12 - 15:01by JOHN CHUCKMAN
A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY
Monday 9 - 06:23by David R. Hoffman, Legal Editor of Pravda.Ru
Judah Ben Hur, Amb. Republican Candidate for President 2020
Sunday 8 - 15:00by Judah Ben Hur, Amb. Republican Candidate for President 2020
DARK DAY DEMOCRACY: THE ACCIDENTAL PRESIDENT
Saturday 7 - 21:41by JACK RANDOM
President Donald Trump and Ambassador Judah Ben Hur
Saturday 7 - 15:04by President Donald Trump and Ambassador Judah Ben Hur
THE INSANE CIRCUS NOW GOING ON IN WASHINGTON – A SAD PARODY OF JOSEPH MCCARTHY
Friday 6 - 17:15by JOHN CHUCKMAN
The New Cultural Frontier as shown by Christophe Mazurier
Tuesday 27 - 14:29
UN Security Council Resolution 2334 – Beginning Of The End For Apartheid Israel?
Monday 26 - 23:37by Dr Gideon Polya
AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT...A CONTEMPORARY CHRISTMAS TALE
Saturday 24 - 18:00by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Judicially arraign, try and punish climate criminals for 10 million deaths pa
Thursday 22 - 20:02by Dr Gideon Polya
Australia: the social cost of a cashless economy
Thursday 8 - 18:25by Sarah Jenkins
THE PROFOUND DISAPPOINTMENT OF ANGELA MERKEL
Monday 5 - 17:24by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Modern slaves rebel in rural South Africa and win!
Sunday 27 - 19:18by md
Arrivederci Fidel !!! Hasta la victoria siempre companero !!! (video)
Saturday 26 - 10:48by Roberto Ferrario
INDIANA: STATE OF SADISTIC COWARDICE
Tuesday 22 - 21:26by David R. Hoffman, Legal Editor of Pravda.Ru
Pro-Zionist Leonard Cohen (1934-2016) & Apartheid Israel’s Palestinian Genocide
Thursday 17 - 00:28by Dr Gideon Polya
Now We Can Finally Get to Work
Sunday 13 - 21:09by David Swanson
AMERICA’S DESCENT INTO FASCISM
Thursday 10 - 23:40by David R. Hoffman, Legal Editor of Pravda.Ru
WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS ELECTION?
Thursday 10 - 21:28by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Yves Bouvier case shows risks of media abuse
Sunday 6 - 19:56by Bob Boulder
Humane Green Party Dr Jill Stein versus serial war criminal Hillary Clinton
Friday 4 - 21:00by Gideon Polya
Public Apology to Women of the World from The American Republic (Hypatia of Alex
Monday 31 - 15:21by Willam Morgan