1. A war on Iran could kill us all. President Obama said in the State of the Union: "America is determined to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon, and I will take no options off the table to achieve that goal. But a peaceful resolution of this issue is s till possible . . . if Iran changes course." So, unless Iran, which the Secretary of Defense says is not developing a nuclear weapon, ceases developing a nuclear weapon, we’re going to war. Sound familiar? Ever seen this movie before? Actually, we’ve seen it in every single war ever fought by any nation. The best defense against the lies of the Department of Defense is good preparation. Read this book: http://WarIsALie.org
Use these resources: http://DontAttackIran.org
Join or create an event on February 4: http://worldcantwait.net
2. Occupation of DC under threat. The Park Service plans to try to remove all tents from both DC occupations (Freedom Plaza and McPherson Square) at noon on Monday, January 30th. Be there. Be nonviolent. Be determined. Be relentless.
Rise like Lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you Ye are many — they are few
3. California could solve healthcare. California has until Tuesday and is two senators away from enacting single-payer healthcare. This is far more significant that anything that has been done at the national level for healthcare. This solves the problem in one state and creates a model for the other 49. You can help: http://warisacrime.org/node/60764
4. Corporate personhood is on the defensive. The Montana Supreme Court has refused to comply with Citizens United. Citie s and states are taking action. Stronger bills are being introduced in Congress all the time. The latest is HJRes 100. Rallies were just held in over 100 towns and cities. Join this movement: http://act.rootsaction.org/p/dia/ac...
5. They’re raising military spending and calling it "cuts." The supposed cuts in all the headlines are cuts to dream budgets, leaving actual increases. Small but real cuts would result from following the law after the Super Committee’s failure (remember them?). But bills in both houses would block all actual cuts to the military, and President Obama agrees with that agenda. This will mean severe cuts to education, transportation, and — as Obama indicated in his State of the Union speech — to Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. http://warisacrime.org/node/60747
Why Peace 6. New classic book on peace just out. An amazing new book that you will treasure has just been published. It is first-person stories of war and peace and activism from all over the world, from victims, refugees, journalists, lawyers, and participants in numerous wars. Every story is personal and moving. There is not a drop of corporate media disinterestedness in the book. You may know some of the authors and now you’ll know them better. It’s 600 pages but you’ll be sorry when you reach the end. http://www.amazon.com/Why-Peace-Mar...
7. Guess who says the anthrax attacks were pinned on the wrong guy (again)? The Department of Justice. Anybody else, and Obama would have charged them with "espionage". http://warisacrime.org/node/60765
8. We’re re-occupying the Philippines, by jingo! On the plus side, we have not yet been told that this will benefit "our little brown brothers" (whether they like it or not). http://warisacrime.org/node/60746
9. Prevent Fukushima in Vermont. A Fukushima-style nuclear power plant in Vermont legally must shut down, but in reality is up and running. We can close it. http://warisacrime.org/node/60745
10. They hate us for our bases. As in many other places around the world, in Japan and Korea, people are risking their lives to resist U.S. military base construction. Japan: http://warisacrime.org/node/60718 — Korea: http://warisacrime.org/node/60743
11. Torture lawyer John Yoo badly loses debate. Professor Yoo agreed to debate a sane person, with predictable but still satisfying result: http://warisacrime.org/node/60738
12. The State of the Union speech only sounded good if you were screaming in terror. http://warisacrime.org/node/60727
13. United National Antiwar Coalition Conference. Don’t miss this! https://nationalpeaceconference.org
14. Occupy Spring! The National Occupation of Washington DC starts on March 30, 2012. http://nowdc.org
15. No Immunity for Mortgage Fraudsters! The Obama Administration has been working on a mortgage fraud settlement that itself amounts to fraud, but attorneys general in several states are pushing back. Obama’s speeches stress fairness and equality, but a settlement granting immunity to big banks is not fair. Robosigning and other fraudulent practices are ongoing. The White House is offering the banks a plea bargain in the middle of a crime spree. Attorneys general in Delaware, New York, Massachusetts, California, and other states are pushing in the right direction. Tell leading state attorneys general not to settle for less than an adequate settlement. http://act.rootsaction.org/p/dia/ac... Lots More Upcoming Events More Important Than Newt’s Sex Life:
Jan. 30, 2012, Washington, D.C., Briefing on Iran Warmongering
Jan. 31, 2012, Washington, D.C., Occupy Peace House
Feb. 3, 2012, Everywhere, Protest NDAA
Feb. 4, 2012, Don’t Attack Iran Events
Feb. 25-26, David Swanson speaking in Hilton Head, SC
March 2-6, 2012, Washington, D.C., Occupy AIPAC
March 16-18, 2012, New York, NY, Left Forum
March 23-25, 2012, Stamford, Ct., United National Antiwar Coalition Conference
March 22-25, 2012, Washington, D.C., Split This Rock Poetry Festival
March 30, 2012, National Occupation of Washington DC (NOW DC) and on FaceBook
March 30, 2012, Global March to Jerusalem
March 30 - April 1, Brussels, Belgium, No to NATO
A pril 3, 2012, David Swanson at McNally Jackson Books in New York, NY.
April 11-13, 2012, Virginia, SOA Direct Action Training Camp
May 1, 2012, General Strike
May 1 - 18, 2012, March from Madison to Chicago
May 18 - 20, 2012, Chicago, Challenge the NATO War Makers
May 19, 2012, David Swanson speaking in Rockville, Md., to Peace Action Montgomery.
July 4, 2012, Philadelphia, 99% Convention
July 14, 2012, David Swanson at Peacestock 2012 in Wisconsin.