Dire Message for Earth Day, 22 April: stop deforestation, fossil fuels, livestock & population increase
by : Dr Gideon Polya
Friday April 22, 2011 - 10:14
April 22 is Earth Day but the news is bad and getting worse.
1. The World’s population is currently 6.9 billion and is estimated to reach 9.1 billion by 2050 (UN Population Division: http://esa.un.org/unpp/p2k0data.asp ).
2. In 2010/11 food utilization exceeded food production and in the last year the prices of sugar, cereals and oils and fats have increased about 1.4-fold (see (see FAO, “World Food Situation”: http://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituati... ).
3. Water-borne diseases kill about 1.8 million people each year, 1.1 billion people lack proper drinking water and 2.5 billion people lack access to improved sanitation, with this including 1.1 billion people lacking access to any sanitation facilities.
4. About 0.9 billion people were malnourished in 2010 although there was plenty of food to feed them.
5. In 2010 about 18 million people died avoidably from deprivation and deprivation-exacerbated disease in the Developing World (excluding China).
6. In the period 1950-2005 it is estimated that avoidable deaths from deprivation totaled 1.3 billion (the World), 1.2 billion (the Non-European World) and 0.6 billion (the Muslim World).
7. In the period 1950-2005 it is estimated that under-5 infant deaths totaled 0.88 billion (the World), 0.85 billion (the Non-European World) and 0.4 billion (the Muslim World).
8. For a roughly even chance of avoiding a disastrous 2 degree C temperature rise the World must cease carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by 2020 (high per capita emitters like the US and Australia by 2020) (Professor Hans Joachim Schellnhuber, “Terra quasi-incognita: beyond the 2 degree C line”, < 4 Degrees & Beyond, International Climate Conference, 26-30 September 2009, Oxford University , UK : http://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/4degrees/pp... ).
9. The species extinction rate is 100-1,000 times normal and associated with resource utilization and global warming.
10. The atmospheric CO2 concentration was 180-300 parts per million (ppm) for the last 0.8 million years but has jumped enormously in the last half century to 392 ppm (currently increasing at 2.4 ppm per year). Biochar can draw down atmosphere CO2 to 300 ppm (see “ Forest biomass-derived Biochar can profitably reduce global warming and bushfire risk”: https://sites.google.com/site/yarra... ).
11. The World is already experiencing climatic disruption from greenhouse gas-driven global warming e.g. polar region ice melting, glacier melting, increased fire, floods and storm intensity, sea level rise, and ecosystem damage.
12. Top climate scientists have estimated that only 0.5 billion people may survive unaddressed climate change this century, a climate genocide that will kill about 10 billion people.
13. Greed-based Business As Usual (BAU) means climate change inaction that is compounded by the biofuel food for fuel) and emissions trading perversions and a disastrously counterproductive Gas Boom, Gas Rush and coal to gas transition.
14. Methane (85% of natural gas) is 105 times worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas (GHG) on a 20 year time scale and taking aerosol impacts into account, this contra-indicating a coal to gas transition. Gas burning is dirtier GHG-wise than coal burning (see: “Pro-gas Australian Labor Govt wants Coal to Gas transition by Carbon Tax - but Gas burning worse GHG-wise”: http://bellaciao.org/en/spip.php?ar... ; Gideon Polya, “Detailed document exposing pro-gas Australia climate change inaction”, Countercurrents, 15 March 2011: http://www.countercurrents.org/poly... .)
15. A World Bank re-assessment of the methane contribution indicates that our GHG pollution is 50% bigger than hitherto though and that methanogenic livestock contribute over 50% of the higher figure (see Robert Goodland and Jeff Anfang. “Livestock and climate change. What if the key actors in climate change are … cows, pigs and chickens?”, World Watch, November/December 2009: http://www.worldwatch.org/files/pdf... ).
16. Meat eating is a deadly luxury in a malnourished and warming world, diverting precious grain on a huge scale to the First World luxury of meat eating, increasing grain prices and increasing malnutrition and the threat of mass starvation .
What must we do to stop the continuing global avoidable mortality holocaust?
The continuing, horrendous global avoidable mortality is fundamentally due to violence, deprivation, disease and lying. We are one species confined to one planet and we revel in the richness of nature and human cultural diversity. The peace and cooperative community we commonly experience at the level of village, town, city and nation should apply internationally throughout Spaceship Earth. Intolerance of dishonesty, bigotry and violence, respect for human rights, international law and our common environment and commitment to truth, reason and a modestly decent life for everyone will end the global avoidable mortality holocaust and ensure that it will never be repeated.
More specifically, stopping the avoidable mortality holocaust involves peace, decent governance, high female literacy, good primary heath care, and a modest annual per capita income of at least circa $2,000 for all. Examples of things we can well do without (each worth about $1 trillion per year) to achieve a modest income for all include arms, tobacco, alcohol, junk food, and illicit drugs (see “Body Count. Global avoidable mortality since 1950”: http://globalbodycount.blogspot.com/ ).
What must we do to seriously tackle the worsening climate emergency?
1. Change of societal philosophy to one of scientific risk management and biological sustainability with complete cessation of species extinctions and zero tolerance for lying.
2. Urgent reduction of atmospheric CO2 to a safe level of about 300 ppm as recommended by leading climate and biological scientists for a safe planet for all peoples and all species (see “300.org – return atmosphere CO2 to 300 ppm”: https://sites.google.com/site/300or... ).
3. Rapid switch to the best non-carbon and renewable energy (solar thermal, wind, geothermal, wave, tide and hydro options that are currently roughly the same market price as coal burning-based power and less than the true price of carbon-based power taking environmental and human impacts into account) and to energy efficiency, renewable energy-powered public transport, needs-based production, re-afforestation and return of carbon as biochar (charcoal) to soils or underground storage, coupled with correspondingly rapid cessation of fossil fuel burning, deforestation, methanogenic livestock production and population growth (see “Climate crisis facts and required actions”, Yarra Valley Climate Action Group: https://sites.google.com/site/yarra... ).
Peace is the only way but silence kills and silence is complicity. Please tell everyone you can to help save Spaceship Earth.
Australia: the social cost of a cashless economy
Thursday 8 - 18:25by Sarah Jenkins
THE PROFOUND DISAPPOINTMENT OF ANGELA MERKEL
Monday 5 - 17:24by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Modern slaves rebel in rural South Africa and win!
Sunday 27 - 19:18by md
Arrivederci Fidel !!! Hasta la victoria siempre companero !!! (video)
Saturday 26 - 10:48by Roberto Ferrario
INDIANA: STATE OF SADISTIC COWARDICE
Tuesday 22 - 21:26by David R. Hoffman, Legal Editor of Pravda.Ru
Pro-Zionist Leonard Cohen (1934-2016) & Apartheid Israel’s Palestinian Genocide
Thursday 17 - 00:28by Dr Gideon Polya
Now We Can Finally Get to Work
Sunday 13 - 21:09by David Swanson
AMERICA’S DESCENT INTO FASCISM
Thursday 10 - 23:40by David R. Hoffman, Legal Editor of Pravda.Ru
WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS ELECTION?
Thursday 10 - 21:28by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Yves Bouvier case shows risks of media abuse
Sunday 6 - 19:56by Bob Boulder
Humane Green Party Dr Jill Stein versus serial war criminal Hillary Clinton
Friday 4 - 21:00by Gideon Polya
Public Apology to Women of the World from The American Republic (Hypatia of Alex
Monday 31 - 15:21by Willam Morgan
YES, THERE WILL BE ELECTION FRAUD, AND ON A GRAND SCALE
Sunday 23 - 18:32by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Hillary Clinton will be first female President 2017
Monday 10 - 17:21by Willam Morgan
Police Shootings: Law, Policy, and Accountability
Thursday 6 - 14:22by William John Cox
AMERICA DESERVES BETTER, BUT EVEN MORE IMPORTANTLY, THE WORLD DESERVES BETTER
Thursday 29 - 18:02by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Back to School for Fascist Dupont-Aignan
Thursday 15 - 11:32by Nouveau Comité de Vigilance des Intellectuels Antifascistes
The Presidency: Character Matters
Friday 9 - 15:06by William John Cox
WHY HILLARY IS THE PERFECT PERSON TO SECURE OBAMA’S LEGACY
Tuesday 30 - 18:08by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Remake of Ben Hur in 2020 planned by new motion picture studio
Friday 26 - 15:50by Wallace
THE CASE FOR DONALD TRUMP
Monday 22 - 19:32by JOHN CHUCKMAN
THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES IS DEAD
Thursday 11 - 06:42by David R. Hoffman, Legal Editor of Pravda.Ru
DONALD TRUMP AND THE GENIUS OF IDIOCY
Friday 5 - 00:47by David R. Hoffman, Legal Editor of Pravda.Ru
FOOLING MOST OF THE PEOPLE MOST OF THE TIME IS WHAT AMERICAN POLITICS ARE ABOUT,
Friday 29 - 18:13by JOHN CHUCKMAN
A message of your fellow striking workers from France
Tuesday 12 - 20:49by Info’Com-CGT
The Right to Vote, Effectively
Friday 8 - 22:20by William John Cox
Fourth of July Lies
Sunday 3 - 19:41by June C. Terpstra
Who Should Make Political Policy, the People or the Politicians?
Friday 24 - 15:14by William John Cox
Hollow Women of the Hegemon Part II: Atrocity Enabling Harpies
Tuesday 21 - 18:49by Dr. June Terpstra
The American Republic Manifestum book is being made into a Movie
Saturday 11 - 15:54by William Morgan
Write-in Voting and Political Protest
Wednesday 1 - 15:05by William John Cox
Yves Bouvier art battle plays out in online and social media arena
Tuesday 31 - 21:12by Dean Bagley
Damaged Candidate Clinton Can’t Call Out Trump
Friday 27 - 13:53by Daniel Patrick Welch
PLEDGE OF THE NEW REPUBLICAN PARTY
Tuesday 24 - 21:53by David R. Hoffman, Legal Editor of Pravda.Ru
LET TEXAS SECEDE
Thursday 19 - 00:53by David R. Hoffman, Legal Editor of Pravda.Ru
LAS TRES ERRES A LA ENÉSIMA POTENCIA.-
Monday 16 - 15:35by FREDDY SUBDIAGA
Monday 16 - 15:26by FREDDY SUBDIAGA
Oligarchs Won’t Let You Vote Their Wars Away
Wednesday 11 - 20:24by Daniel Patrick Welch
AN AMERICAN ORIGINAL: JOHN KERRY - FROM HIS REMARKABLE RECENT COMMENCEMENT ADDR
Monday 9 - 20:40by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton support the American Republic Manifestum
Monday 9 - 16:37by William Morgan