Dire Message for Earth Day, 22 April: stop deforestation, fossil fuels, livestock & population increase
by : Dr Gideon Polya
Friday April 22, 2011 - 10:14
April 22 is Earth Day but the news is bad and getting worse.
1. The World’s population is currently 6.9 billion and is estimated to reach 9.1 billion by 2050 (UN Population Division: http://esa.un.org/unpp/p2k0data.asp ).
2. In 2010/11 food utilization exceeded food production and in the last year the prices of sugar, cereals and oils and fats have increased about 1.4-fold (see (see FAO, “World Food Situation”: http://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituati... ).
3. Water-borne diseases kill about 1.8 million people each year, 1.1 billion people lack proper drinking water and 2.5 billion people lack access to improved sanitation, with this including 1.1 billion people lacking access to any sanitation facilities.
4. About 0.9 billion people were malnourished in 2010 although there was plenty of food to feed them.
5. In 2010 about 18 million people died avoidably from deprivation and deprivation-exacerbated disease in the Developing World (excluding China).
6. In the period 1950-2005 it is estimated that avoidable deaths from deprivation totaled 1.3 billion (the World), 1.2 billion (the Non-European World) and 0.6 billion (the Muslim World).
7. In the period 1950-2005 it is estimated that under-5 infant deaths totaled 0.88 billion (the World), 0.85 billion (the Non-European World) and 0.4 billion (the Muslim World).
8. For a roughly even chance of avoiding a disastrous 2 degree C temperature rise the World must cease carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by 2020 (high per capita emitters like the US and Australia by 2020) (Professor Hans Joachim Schellnhuber, “Terra quasi-incognita: beyond the 2 degree C line”, < 4 Degrees & Beyond, International Climate Conference, 26-30 September 2009, Oxford University , UK : http://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/4degrees/pp... ).
9. The species extinction rate is 100-1,000 times normal and associated with resource utilization and global warming.
10. The atmospheric CO2 concentration was 180-300 parts per million (ppm) for the last 0.8 million years but has jumped enormously in the last half century to 392 ppm (currently increasing at 2.4 ppm per year). Biochar can draw down atmosphere CO2 to 300 ppm (see “ Forest biomass-derived Biochar can profitably reduce global warming and bushfire risk”: https://sites.google.com/site/yarra... ).
11. The World is already experiencing climatic disruption from greenhouse gas-driven global warming e.g. polar region ice melting, glacier melting, increased fire, floods and storm intensity, sea level rise, and ecosystem damage.
12. Top climate scientists have estimated that only 0.5 billion people may survive unaddressed climate change this century, a climate genocide that will kill about 10 billion people.
13. Greed-based Business As Usual (BAU) means climate change inaction that is compounded by the biofuel food for fuel) and emissions trading perversions and a disastrously counterproductive Gas Boom, Gas Rush and coal to gas transition.
14. Methane (85% of natural gas) is 105 times worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas (GHG) on a 20 year time scale and taking aerosol impacts into account, this contra-indicating a coal to gas transition. Gas burning is dirtier GHG-wise than coal burning (see: “Pro-gas Australian Labor Govt wants Coal to Gas transition by Carbon Tax - but Gas burning worse GHG-wise”: http://bellaciao.org/en/spip.php?ar... ; Gideon Polya, “Detailed document exposing pro-gas Australia climate change inaction”, Countercurrents, 15 March 2011: http://www.countercurrents.org/poly... .)
15. A World Bank re-assessment of the methane contribution indicates that our GHG pollution is 50% bigger than hitherto though and that methanogenic livestock contribute over 50% of the higher figure (see Robert Goodland and Jeff Anfang. “Livestock and climate change. What if the key actors in climate change are … cows, pigs and chickens?”, World Watch, November/December 2009: http://www.worldwatch.org/files/pdf... ).
16. Meat eating is a deadly luxury in a malnourished and warming world, diverting precious grain on a huge scale to the First World luxury of meat eating, increasing grain prices and increasing malnutrition and the threat of mass starvation .
What must we do to stop the continuing global avoidable mortality holocaust?
The continuing, horrendous global avoidable mortality is fundamentally due to violence, deprivation, disease and lying. We are one species confined to one planet and we revel in the richness of nature and human cultural diversity. The peace and cooperative community we commonly experience at the level of village, town, city and nation should apply internationally throughout Spaceship Earth. Intolerance of dishonesty, bigotry and violence, respect for human rights, international law and our common environment and commitment to truth, reason and a modestly decent life for everyone will end the global avoidable mortality holocaust and ensure that it will never be repeated.
More specifically, stopping the avoidable mortality holocaust involves peace, decent governance, high female literacy, good primary heath care, and a modest annual per capita income of at least circa $2,000 for all. Examples of things we can well do without (each worth about $1 trillion per year) to achieve a modest income for all include arms, tobacco, alcohol, junk food, and illicit drugs (see “Body Count. Global avoidable mortality since 1950”: http://globalbodycount.blogspot.com/ ).
What must we do to seriously tackle the worsening climate emergency?
1. Change of societal philosophy to one of scientific risk management and biological sustainability with complete cessation of species extinctions and zero tolerance for lying.
2. Urgent reduction of atmospheric CO2 to a safe level of about 300 ppm as recommended by leading climate and biological scientists for a safe planet for all peoples and all species (see “300.org – return atmosphere CO2 to 300 ppm”: https://sites.google.com/site/300or... ).
3. Rapid switch to the best non-carbon and renewable energy (solar thermal, wind, geothermal, wave, tide and hydro options that are currently roughly the same market price as coal burning-based power and less than the true price of carbon-based power taking environmental and human impacts into account) and to energy efficiency, renewable energy-powered public transport, needs-based production, re-afforestation and return of carbon as biochar (charcoal) to soils or underground storage, coupled with correspondingly rapid cessation of fossil fuel burning, deforestation, methanogenic livestock production and population growth (see “Climate crisis facts and required actions”, Yarra Valley Climate Action Group: https://sites.google.com/site/yarra... ).
Peace is the only way but silence kills and silence is complicity. Please tell everyone you can to help save Spaceship Earth.
Saudi Arabia: Killers, and fathers of terrorists!
Wednesday 1 - 10:26by Marinella Correggia
INDIANA: THE STATE BUILT ON HATE
Friday 27 - 22:55by David R. Hoffman, Pravda.Ru Legal Editor
Blockupy will continue
Tuesday 24 - 14:32by Blockupy
Ready or not, climate change is coming to Africa
Monday 23 - 13:54by Robert Ginsey
Iraq invasion 12th anniversary - 2.7 million dead from violence or deprivation
Monday 23 - 04:18by Dr Gideon Polya
Hillary or Bush III?
Saturday 21 - 17:40by Richard John Stapleton
MARIJUANA: LEGALIZE―DON’T ADVERTISE
Wednesday 18 - 12:51by William John Cox
48 Hours - Vive la commune!
Tuesday 17 - 22:09by Interventionistische Linke
U.S. opens up to Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood, Syria, and Iran
Tuesday 17 - 15:56by Nicola Nasser
Book Review: “Genocide in Iraq Volume II. The Obliteration of a Modern State”
Sunday 15 - 01:08by Dr Gideon Polya
THE CIA AND AMERICA’S PRESIDENTS Some rarely discussed truths shaping contempora
Friday 13 - 16:36by JOHN CHUCKMAN
March 18th 2015 in Frankfurt against the European Central Bank’s
Thursday 5 - 19:33by Blockupy
Review: "Tears in Paradise" by Rajendra Prasad - Britain’s Indian slaves in Fiji
Wednesday 4 - 22:16by Dr Gideon Polya
WILL WISCONSIN’S IGNORANCE BECOME AMERICA’S IGNORANCE, AGAIN?
Tuesday 3 - 00:57by David R. Hoffman, Pravda.Ru Legal Editor
M18: Full Communism instead of Austerity!
Monday 2 - 14:37by *
ISIS 101: What’s really terrifying about this threat
Sunday 1 - 21:37by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Putin Netanyahu In Sight of Iran
Saturday 28 - 06:30by I.M. Charly
AS Monaco owner Dmitry Rybolovlev took controversial path to billionaire status
Friday 27 - 20:02by Constantin
THE GRAND ILLUSION
Wednesday 25 - 18:38by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Let’s make history!
Sunday 22 - 16:54by THE COMMUNE OF EUROPE
UN peace coordinator unwelcome by Palestinians
Sunday 22 - 08:02by Nicola Nasser
"Biochemical Targets of Plant Bioactive Compounds" - stop ecocide & speciescide
Sunday 22 - 06:34by Dr Gideon Polya
No Caliph in 500 Years: ISIS - Discerning the Propaganda
Saturday 21 - 17:06by Timbre Wolf
Zionist historian Sir Martin Gilbert (1936-2015) minimized Bengali Holocaust
Thursday 19 - 08:58by Dr Gideon Polya
HOW AMERICA SCREWS UP THE WORLD WITHOUT EVER LETTING ITS PEOPLE KNOW WHAT IS HAP
Thursday 12 - 16:47by JOHN CHUCKMAN
SWISS LEAKS - EXPLORE THE SWISS LEAKS DATA
Monday 9 - 15:54by icij.org
As UK or US allies Australians have invaded 85 countries (France 80, the US 70)
Sunday 8 - 22:31by Dr Gideon Polya
there is noreason not to stop the maddness
Sunday 8 - 22:28
Strike Meeting Act II "Europe, social and transnational strike"
Saturday 7 - 15:55by Strike Meeting
When will USA led forces start burning ISIS fighters alive in cages?
Friday 6 - 16:00by William Morgan
The dictator who jailed Fela Kuti wants the Nigerian presidency
Wednesday 4 - 18:04by Jason Fissourou
THANK YOU NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS AND NFL
Wednesday 4 - 03:05by David R. Hoffman, Pravda.Ru Legal Editor
Are Republicans closet communists? If not they should pass the Lilly Ledbetter A
Tuesday 3 - 23:03by Richard John Stapleton
Are Republicans closet communists? If not they should pass the Lilly Ledbetter A
Tuesday 3 - 22:43by Richard John Stapleton
US Manipulates India for Corporate Nuclear interests
Tuesday 3 - 11:08by Timbre Wolf
Syriza and social movements - Interview with AK Athens
Thursday 29 - 23:04by InfoAut
Climate South Initiative to help Africans go from bystanders to leaders in clima
Thursday 29 - 22:49
Self-Interest Is Hard Work
Wednesday 28 - 16:39by WireNews Limited
THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM The Origin of Modern Terror and Crumbling Western Value
Monday 26 - 18:31by JOHN CHUCKMAN
The British have invaded 193 countries - make January 26 British Invasion Day
Friday 23 - 06:39by Dr Gideon Polya