Dire Message for Earth Day, 22 April: stop deforestation, fossil fuels, livestock & population increase
by : Dr Gideon Polya
Friday April 22, 2011 - 10:14
April 22 is Earth Day but the news is bad and getting worse.
1. The World’s population is currently 6.9 billion and is estimated to reach 9.1 billion by 2050 (UN Population Division: http://esa.un.org/unpp/p2k0data.asp ).
2. In 2010/11 food utilization exceeded food production and in the last year the prices of sugar, cereals and oils and fats have increased about 1.4-fold (see (see FAO, “World Food Situation”: http://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituati... ).
3. Water-borne diseases kill about 1.8 million people each year, 1.1 billion people lack proper drinking water and 2.5 billion people lack access to improved sanitation, with this including 1.1 billion people lacking access to any sanitation facilities.
4. About 0.9 billion people were malnourished in 2010 although there was plenty of food to feed them.
5. In 2010 about 18 million people died avoidably from deprivation and deprivation-exacerbated disease in the Developing World (excluding China).
6. In the period 1950-2005 it is estimated that avoidable deaths from deprivation totaled 1.3 billion (the World), 1.2 billion (the Non-European World) and 0.6 billion (the Muslim World).
7. In the period 1950-2005 it is estimated that under-5 infant deaths totaled 0.88 billion (the World), 0.85 billion (the Non-European World) and 0.4 billion (the Muslim World).
8. For a roughly even chance of avoiding a disastrous 2 degree C temperature rise the World must cease carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by 2020 (high per capita emitters like the US and Australia by 2020) (Professor Hans Joachim Schellnhuber, “Terra quasi-incognita: beyond the 2 degree C line”, < 4 Degrees & Beyond, International Climate Conference, 26-30 September 2009, Oxford University , UK : http://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/4degrees/pp... ).
9. The species extinction rate is 100-1,000 times normal and associated with resource utilization and global warming.
10. The atmospheric CO2 concentration was 180-300 parts per million (ppm) for the last 0.8 million years but has jumped enormously in the last half century to 392 ppm (currently increasing at 2.4 ppm per year). Biochar can draw down atmosphere CO2 to 300 ppm (see “ Forest biomass-derived Biochar can profitably reduce global warming and bushfire risk”: https://sites.google.com/site/yarra... ).
11. The World is already experiencing climatic disruption from greenhouse gas-driven global warming e.g. polar region ice melting, glacier melting, increased fire, floods and storm intensity, sea level rise, and ecosystem damage.
12. Top climate scientists have estimated that only 0.5 billion people may survive unaddressed climate change this century, a climate genocide that will kill about 10 billion people.
13. Greed-based Business As Usual (BAU) means climate change inaction that is compounded by the biofuel food for fuel) and emissions trading perversions and a disastrously counterproductive Gas Boom, Gas Rush and coal to gas transition.
14. Methane (85% of natural gas) is 105 times worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas (GHG) on a 20 year time scale and taking aerosol impacts into account, this contra-indicating a coal to gas transition. Gas burning is dirtier GHG-wise than coal burning (see: “Pro-gas Australian Labor Govt wants Coal to Gas transition by Carbon Tax - but Gas burning worse GHG-wise”: http://bellaciao.org/en/spip.php?ar... ; Gideon Polya, “Detailed document exposing pro-gas Australia climate change inaction”, Countercurrents, 15 March 2011: http://www.countercurrents.org/poly... .)
15. A World Bank re-assessment of the methane contribution indicates that our GHG pollution is 50% bigger than hitherto though and that methanogenic livestock contribute over 50% of the higher figure (see Robert Goodland and Jeff Anfang. “Livestock and climate change. What if the key actors in climate change are … cows, pigs and chickens?”, World Watch, November/December 2009: http://www.worldwatch.org/files/pdf... ).
16. Meat eating is a deadly luxury in a malnourished and warming world, diverting precious grain on a huge scale to the First World luxury of meat eating, increasing grain prices and increasing malnutrition and the threat of mass starvation .
What must we do to stop the continuing global avoidable mortality holocaust?
The continuing, horrendous global avoidable mortality is fundamentally due to violence, deprivation, disease and lying. We are one species confined to one planet and we revel in the richness of nature and human cultural diversity. The peace and cooperative community we commonly experience at the level of village, town, city and nation should apply internationally throughout Spaceship Earth. Intolerance of dishonesty, bigotry and violence, respect for human rights, international law and our common environment and commitment to truth, reason and a modestly decent life for everyone will end the global avoidable mortality holocaust and ensure that it will never be repeated.
More specifically, stopping the avoidable mortality holocaust involves peace, decent governance, high female literacy, good primary heath care, and a modest annual per capita income of at least circa $2,000 for all. Examples of things we can well do without (each worth about $1 trillion per year) to achieve a modest income for all include arms, tobacco, alcohol, junk food, and illicit drugs (see “Body Count. Global avoidable mortality since 1950”: http://globalbodycount.blogspot.com/ ).
What must we do to seriously tackle the worsening climate emergency?
1. Change of societal philosophy to one of scientific risk management and biological sustainability with complete cessation of species extinctions and zero tolerance for lying.
2. Urgent reduction of atmospheric CO2 to a safe level of about 300 ppm as recommended by leading climate and biological scientists for a safe planet for all peoples and all species (see “300.org – return atmosphere CO2 to 300 ppm”: https://sites.google.com/site/300or... ).
3. Rapid switch to the best non-carbon and renewable energy (solar thermal, wind, geothermal, wave, tide and hydro options that are currently roughly the same market price as coal burning-based power and less than the true price of carbon-based power taking environmental and human impacts into account) and to energy efficiency, renewable energy-powered public transport, needs-based production, re-afforestation and return of carbon as biochar (charcoal) to soils or underground storage, coupled with correspondingly rapid cessation of fossil fuel burning, deforestation, methanogenic livestock production and population growth (see “Climate crisis facts and required actions”, Yarra Valley Climate Action Group: https://sites.google.com/site/yarra... ).
Peace is the only way but silence kills and silence is complicity. Please tell everyone you can to help save Spaceship Earth.
Statement of the South African Communist Party on Nelson Mandela
Monday 9 - 11:48by South African Communist Party
THE REAL LESSONS FROM THE DEATH OF NELSON MANDELA
Sunday 8 - 21:07by JOHN CHUCKMAN
FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance
Sunday 8 - 18:55by Craig Timberg and Ellen Nakashima
FBI can secretly turn on laptop cameras without the indicator light
Sunday 8 - 18:46
ELDER ABUSE BLOG HACKED!
Sunday 8 - 06:21by Monica Post
Mandela: "Our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians"
Sunday 8 - 02:46by Dr Gideon Polya
David Swanson in Portland, Oregon
Saturday 7 - 17:29by David Swanson at Laughing Horse Books
The Problem of Human Egos
Friday 6 - 15:14by Richard John Stapleton
THE TRUE WAR ON CHRISTMAS
Thursday 5 - 01:17by David R. Hoffman, Pravda.Ru Legal Editor
Insurgency Responsible for Civilian Plight of Syrians
Wednesday 4 - 10:52by Nicola Nasser
Huge child abuse by pro-war, pro-Zionist, Australian Coalition Governments
Tuesday 3 - 15:10by Dr Gideon Polya
why we don’t really need more taxes
Tuesday 3 - 13:40by ART
letter of december to the President Obama
Monday 2 - 13:47by kakine
10 More Years in Afghanistan
Saturday 30 - 22:27by David Swanson
Obama’s ‘Big Prize’ to Earn Nobel Peace Prize
Wednesday 27 - 10:12by Nicola Nasser
TRUTH IN THE REAL WORLD—THE JFK ASSASSINATION
Wednesday 20 - 21:21by Richard John Stapleton
Syria, Egypt Reveal Erdogan’s ‘Hidden Agenda’
Wednesday 20 - 10:37by Nicola Nasser
DISHONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY
Tuesday 19 - 12:56by David R. Hoffman, Pravda.Ru Legal Editor
Demonstrate against Drones
Tuesday 19 - 09:07by London
THE CBS WHITEWASH OF THE JFK ASSASSINATION
Sunday 17 - 21:34by Richard John Stapleton
TIME WOUNDS ALL HEELS: WHAT TORONTO’S ROB FORD FIASCO IS ABOUT AND WHAT WE CAN L
Sunday 17 - 21:32by JOHN CHUCKMAN
THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT—NO GAIN WITHOUT PAIN
Friday 15 - 16:25by Richard John Stapleton
All Drone Politics Is Local
Friday 15 - 09:35by David Swanson
International Anti-War Conference: speakers and sessions announced
Thursday 14 - 09:02by Stop the War Coalition
Sorry, Venezuela haters: this economy is not the Greece of Latin America
Thursday 14 - 08:59by Mark Weisbrot
A VAST WASTELAND OF EFFORT SPENT: AMERICA’S RAMPAGE THROUGH THE MIDDLE EAST
Wednesday 13 - 19:27by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Committees of Correspondence: To Defend Freedom and Secure Good Government
Wednesday 13 - 16:36by William John Cox
Libya almost Imploding, Status Quo Unsustainable
Wednesday 13 - 09:32by Nicola Nasser
Michelle Bachelet Favored to Win in Chilean Presidential Election
Tuesday 12 - 23:41by Brian McAfee
Paying the Toll On the Economic Highway
Friday 8 - 16:45by William John Cox
120 reasons Australians should dump pro-war, pro-Zionist, US lackey Coalition
Friday 8 - 10:21by Dr Gideon Polya
Slavery Isn’t a Thing of the Past
Thursday 7 - 11:01by Nicholas D. Kristof
Drones from the Other Side
Thursday 7 - 10:33by David Swanson
6.6 Million Children Under the Age of Five Died Last Year Mostly from Easily Tr
Thursday 7 - 01:53by Brian McAfee
HOW AMERICA LEARNED TO PLAY GOD
Wednesday 6 - 19:14by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Saudis Fight a Lost Battle against Change
Wednesday 6 - 08:22by Nicola Nasser
letter of november to the President Obama
Saturday 2 - 17:01by kakine
Argentines link health problems to Monsanto agrochemicals
Wednesday 30 - 21:28by MICHAEL WARREN and NATACHA PISARENKO
Drying up Ideological Wellsprings of Arab – Israeli Conflict
Wednesday 30 - 11:08by Nicola Nasser
CUTTING THE MIDDLE EAST’S GORDIAN KNOT: WHY ISRAEL CANNOT SURVIVE IN ITS PRESENT
Monday 28 - 14:59by JOHN CHUCKMAN