Climate racism, climate injustice & climate genocide - Australia, US & EU sabotage Copenhagen COP15
by : Dr Gideon Polya
Monday December 14, 2009 - 22:36
Australia, the US and the EU are sabotaging Copenhagen COP15 climate summit and sabotaging Climate Justice which requires (a) equal per capita GHG pollution for all men plus (b) a penalty for huge First World historical pollution (73% of 1750-2006 carbon pollution; see Dr James Hansen’s 2008 Open Letter to PM Kevin Rudd of Australia: http://www.aussmc.org.au/documents/... ).
In order to calculate “annual per capita GHG pollution” in “tonnes CO2-equivalent per person per year” we can use data on the past and projected populations of Developed and Developing countries available from the UN Population Division (see: http://esa.un.org/unpp/ ) and data on the past and projected greenhouse gas emissions of Developed and Developing countries that is conveniently summarized by the US Environmental Protection Agency (see “Global Greenhouse Gas Data”: http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/em... ).
Some of the major propositions at the Copenhagen Climate Change Conference are listed below in order of DECREASING acceptability. For ready comparison we will assume Bangladesh’s GHG per capita, currently 0.9, will be 1 tonne CO2-equivalent per erson per year by 2020. The most unjust and selfish proposals come from climate criminal Australia and the US.
1. The Alliance of Small Island States (AOSIS) proposal for "55% of 1990 levels by 2020 for Developed Countries" would mean that their per capita would go from 16 to 6.5 [6.5 times Bangladesh’s] while Developing Countries would "in aggregate aim to achieve significant deviations [downwards] from baselines [BAU?] by 2020 [less than 3.8 i.e. less than 3.8 times Bangladesh’s?] (see New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2009/1... ).
2. The UN Draft Proposal for "60-75% of 1990 levels by 2020 for Developed Countries" would mean that their average per capita would go from 16 to 7.1 – 8.9 in 2020 [7.1-8.9 times Bangladesh’s] (see NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2009/1... ).
3. India has recently committed that it will not exceed the average per capita for Developed Countries which meansthat its per capita will increase on current projections from 2.2 to at most 8.9 by 2020 [see item #2; 8.9 times Bangladesh’s] (see: http://www.carbonoffsetsdaily.com/i... ).
4. China, notwithstanding its rapid uptake of renewable energy and its commitment to reduce carbon emissions per unit of gross domestic product (GDP) by 40 to 45 percent by 2020, has a greenhouse gas pollution that is predicted to double by 2020 relative to the 2005 value according to various Western experts (see: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2009121... ). This means China’s per capita will increase from circa 6 to a per capita of 2 x 7,527 Mt CO2-e/1,431 million persons = 10.5 [10.5 times Bangladesh’s] (for GHG data see: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL34... ).
5. Obama USA’s proposal for "83% of 1990 value by 2020" would mean that its per capita would go from 27 to 0.83 x 5,177 Mt CO2-e / 346 million persons = 12.4 in 2020 [12.4 times Bangladesh’s] (for 1990 GHG data see: https://www.tai.org.au/documents/dp... ).
6. Australia’s highly conditional best offer of "75% of 2000 value by 2020" would mean that Australia’s domestic per capita would go from 30 to 17.2 in 2020 [17.2 times that of Bangladesh] (and its domestic plus exported per capita would go from 54 to 62 tonnes CO2-e per person per year in 2020 [62 times that of Bangladesh]).
For a detailed and documented analysis see "Copenhagen Greenhouse Gas reduction proposals - quantitative comparisons", placed on the Web by the Melbourne-based Yarra Valley Climate Action Group: http://sites.google.com/site/yarrav... .
It seems likely that the US surrogate, climate criminal Apartheid Australia, will succeed in sabotaging the Copenhagen Climate Conference - just as it helped the US sabotage the previous Kyoto (1997), Bali (2007) and Poznan (2009) Climate Conferences.
The people of Tuvalu and other Island Nations are ALREADY going under the sea but the greedy First World nations at Copenhagen, led by climate criminal Australia, have ignored their pleas.
Both Dr James Lovelock FRS (Gaia hypothesis) and Professor Kevin Anderson ( Director, Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, University of Manchester, UK) have recently estimated that fewer than 1 billion people will survive this century due to unaddressed, man-made global warming – these estimates translating to a climate genocide involving deaths of 10 billion people this century, this including 6 billion under-5 year old infants, 3 billion Muslims, 2 billion Indians, 0.5 billion Bengalis, 0.3 billion Pakistanis and 0.3 billion Bangladeshis (see: http://gpolya.newsvine.com/_news/20... and http://bellaciao.org/en/spip.php?ar... ).
The World must respond to this Australian, US, Anglo-American and EU climate racism, climate injustice and worsening climate genocide of non-Europeans by Sanctions, Boycotts, Green Tariffs, Reparations Demands and International Criminal Court prosecutions against the people, politicians, corporations and countries complicit in the worsening climate genocide.
Why Are Exchange-Traded Funds Preparing For A ‘Liquidity Crisis’ ....
Friday 15 - 16:25by Michael Snyder
Multiple and inter-dependent struggles for a Europe of communards
Thursday 7 - 14:58by Common Political Space (Italian social centers)
The Power and Symbolism of Voting
Thursday 7 - 13:30by William John Cox
Not everyone likes Expo
Monday 4 - 11:13by InfoAut
A Terrible Beauty
Thursday 30 - 23:34by Daniel Patrick Welch
Portuguese bank shares spike in wake of Dos Santos’s proposed merger
Wednesday 29 - 23:10by John Serra
From Blockupy to No Expo
Wednesday 29 - 21:44by The Commune of Europe
IT’S TREASON, AND I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY
Wednesday 29 - 08:24by David R. Hoffman, Legal Editor of Pravda.Ru
#M18 in Frankfurt: Federico to be put on trial next June #FreeFede
Monday 27 - 21:29by #FreeFede
OBAMA KILLS TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE: Hints of the dark place he is taking us
Friday 24 - 20:53by JOHN CHUCKMAN
The bare life that drowned in the Mediterranean Sea
Thursday 23 - 23:11by InfoAut
’We Do Not Forget Or Forgive’
Tuesday 21 - 18:25by WireNews
Stop the War 2015 fundraiser dinner
Sunday 19 - 16:26by London
Productive economic summit comes just in time for struggling Egypt
Tuesday 14 - 22:39by Lewis Hogson
JOY OH JOY, HILLARY IS RUNNING
Tuesday 14 - 15:29by JOHN CHUCKMAN
THE ENDURING REALITY OF GOVERNMENT BY WEALTH AND SOME OF ITS CONSEQUENCES
Tuesday 14 - 15:28by JOHN CHUCKMAN
YES MAYDAY | NOEXPO INTERNATIONAL WORKERS’ DAY IN MILAN
Thursday 9 - 20:32by NoExpo attitude network
HOW TO GET RICH IN AMERICA
Saturday 4 - 03:54by David R. Hoffman, Pravda.Ru Editor
Club-K.net regurgitates imbalanced Financial Times article
Thursday 2 - 11:35by colin58
Saudi Arabia: Killers, and fathers of terrorists!
Wednesday 1 - 10:26by Marinella Correggia
INDIANA: THE STATE BUILT ON HATE
Friday 27 - 22:55by David R. Hoffman, Pravda.Ru Legal Editor
Blockupy will continue
Tuesday 24 - 14:32by Blockupy
Ready or not, climate change is coming to Africa
Monday 23 - 13:54by Robert Ginsey
Iraq invasion 12th anniversary - 2.7 million dead from violence or deprivation
Monday 23 - 04:18by Dr Gideon Polya
Hillary or Bush III?
Saturday 21 - 17:40by Richard John Stapleton
MARIJUANA: LEGALIZE―DON’T ADVERTISE
Wednesday 18 - 12:51by William John Cox
48 Hours - Vive la commune!
Tuesday 17 - 22:09by Interventionistische Linke
U.S. opens up to Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood, Syria, and Iran
Tuesday 17 - 15:56by Nicola Nasser
Book Review: “Genocide in Iraq Volume II. The Obliteration of a Modern State”
Sunday 15 - 01:08by Dr Gideon Polya
THE CIA AND AMERICA’S PRESIDENTS Some rarely discussed truths shaping contempora
Friday 13 - 16:36by JOHN CHUCKMAN
March 18th 2015 in Frankfurt against the European Central Bank’s
Thursday 5 - 19:33by Blockupy
Review: "Tears in Paradise" by Rajendra Prasad - Britain’s Indian slaves in Fiji
Wednesday 4 - 22:16by Dr Gideon Polya
WILL WISCONSIN’S IGNORANCE BECOME AMERICA’S IGNORANCE, AGAIN?
Tuesday 3 - 00:57by David R. Hoffman, Pravda.Ru Legal Editor
M18: Full Communism instead of Austerity!
Monday 2 - 14:37by *
ISIS 101: What’s really terrifying about this threat
Sunday 1 - 21:37by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Putin Netanyahu In Sight of Iran
Saturday 28 - 06:30by I.M. Charly
THE GRAND ILLUSION
Wednesday 25 - 18:38by JOHN CHUCKMAN
Let’s make history!
Sunday 22 - 16:54by THE COMMUNE OF EUROPE
UN peace coordinator unwelcome by Palestinians
Sunday 22 - 08:02by Nicola Nasser
"Biochemical Targets of Plant Bioactive Compounds" - stop ecocide & speciescide
Sunday 22 - 06:34by Dr Gideon Polya