Home > Australia quits Iraqi Genocide: 4.6 million Iraqi war-related deaths, 1990-2011
Australia quits Iraqi Genocide: 4.6 million Iraqi war-related deaths, 1990-2011by Dr Gideon Polya - Open-Publishing - Friday 12 August 2011
Australia has been involved since 1990 in the Iraqi Holocaust and Iraqi Genocide (4.6 million war-related deaths, 1990-2011) but has just withdrawn its last remaining 17 soldiers, replacing them with Chilean mercenaries to guard the Australian embassy.
Racist White Australia – an Apartheid Australia because of its race-based laws and regulations applied to Indigenous Australians and to Afghan and Tamil refugees - must be held to account for its complicity in the ongoing Iraqi Holocaust and Iraqi Genocide and indeed for its involvement in 24 genocidal atrocities of which 10 are ongoing.
War criminal and climate criminal Apartheid Australia (complicit in war-related deaths totaling in 4.6 million and 5.0 million in Iraq and Afghanistan, respectively) should be excluded from the Olympic Games as was Apartheid South Africa from 1962-1992 (69 dead in the 1960 Sharpeville Massacre).
Australia started its involvement in the Iraqi Holocaust and Iraqi Genocide (4.6 million war-related deaths, 1990-2011) in 1990, assisting the US impose deadly Sanctions on Iraq (1990-2011, under Labor PMs Bob Hawke and Paul Keating and Coalition PM John Howard ) and assisting the US in the Gulf War.
In the Sanctions period (1990-2003) Iraqi violent deaths totaled 0.2 million, non-violent war-related deaths from deprivation totaled 1.7 million and under-5 year old infant deaths totaled 1.2 million (90% avoidable and due to US Alliance war crimes in gross violation of the Geneva Convention).
On about 19 March 2003 under Coalition PM John Howard Australian, US and UK forces invaded Iraq. In 2011 a war-devastated Iraq remains occupied by US forces. In the post-invasion period 2003-2011 there have been 1.5 million violent deaths, 1.2 million non-violent avoidable deaths from war-imposed deprivation, 0.8 million under-5 infant deaths (90% avoidable and due to US Alliance war crimes in gross violation of the Geneva Convention), and 5-6 million refugees.
Overall, in the period 1990-2011, there have been 4.6 million war-related deaths, the breakdown being 1.7 million violent deaths, 2.9 million non-violent avoidable deaths from war-imposed deprivation, 2.0 million under-5 infant deaths (90% avoidable and due to US Alliance war crimes in gross violation of the Geneva Convention), and 5-6 million refugees – an Iraqi Holocaust and an Iraqi Genocide as defined by Article 2 of the UN Genocide Convention (see: http://www.un.org/millennium/law/iv... ; details and documentation see “Iraqi Holocaust, Iraqi Genocide”: https://sites.google.com/site/iraqi... ).
The Australian contingent in Iraq rose to about 2,000 but this was largely withdrawn under Labor PM Kevin Rudd (2007-2010) and the last 17 of 33 Australian troops who were guarding the Australian embassy in Iraq were withdrawn on about 10 August 2011 under Labor PM Julia Gillard and a Dubai-based private security firm Unity Resources Group (URG) has taken over. URG, with around 60 Chilean military veterans, was involved in the shooting of 72-year-old Australian Professor Kays Juma in March 2006 (see “Australia withdraws troops guarding Iraq embassy”, ABC News, 10 August 2011: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-... ).
Article 2 of the UN Genocide Convention (see: http://www.edwebproject.org/sidesho... ) states: ““In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, as such: a) Killing members of the group; b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.” Note that serial killers and mass murderers rarely confess but “intent” can be established by the evidence of sustained, remorseless conduct, as with the US Alliance in Iraq in the period 1990-2011. Indeed the Iraqi Holocaust and Iraqi Genocide is continuing.
Dennis Halliday (born in Ireland, 1941) was the UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Iraq from September 1, 1997, until 1998. He resigned after 34 years with the UN, including being UN assistant secretary-general, over the Sanctions imposed on Iraq, characterizing them as “genocide”: "We are now in there responsible for killing people, destroying their families, their children, allowing their older parents to die for lack of basic medicines…We’re in there allowing children to die who were not born yet when Saddam Hussein made the mistake of invading Kuwait… For me what is tragic, in addition to the tragedy of Iraq itself, is the fact that the United Nations Security Council member states ... are maintaining a program of economic sanctions deliberately, knowingly killing thousands of Iraqis each month. And that definition fits genocide" (see: https://sites.google.com/site/iraqi... ).
The eminent US Just Foreign Policy organization issued the following statement on horrendous 1.5 million post-invasion deaths in Occupied Iraq (August 2011): “Sign the petition telling Congress that about a million Iraqis have likely been killed since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003. Help us expose to Congress the true costs of war. A study, published in prestigious medical journal The Lancet, estimated that over 600,000 Iraqis had been killed as a result of the invasion as of July 2006. Iraqis have continued to be killed since then. The death counter provides a rough daily update of this number based on a rate of increase derived from the Iraq Body Count …The estimate that over a million Iraqis have died received independent confirmation from a prestigious British polling agency in January 2008. Opinion Research Business estimated that the death toll between March 2003 and August 2007 was 1,033,000. This devastating human toll demands greater recognition. It eclipses the Rwandan genocide and our leaders are directly responsible. Little wonder they do not publicly cite it” (see “Just Foreign Policy”: http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/no... ) .
Australia is a profoundly racist country but the genocidal racism is covered over with a veneer of political correctness. Thus the major parties, the Liberal -National Party Coalition and Labor (collectively known as the Lib-Labs) are politically correct racist (PC racist) in declaring that they have been bringing democracy to Iraq while in actuality having been involved in this immense atrocity that has now reached the numerical dimensions of the Jewish Holocaust (5-6 million killed, 1 in 6 dying from deprivation) (see Professor Martin Gilbert, “ Jewish History Atlas” and “Atlas of the Holocaust:”).
Indeed search for the terms “Iraqi Holocaust” and “Iraqi Genocide” on the taxpayer-funded ABC (Australia’s equivalent of the UK BBC) and you will find zero (0) results from the “entire ABC site” (see: http://search.abc.net.au/search/sea... ). A similar search of The Australian newspaper (national flagship of the Murdoch News Corp in Australia) also yields zero (0) results for “Iraqi Holocaust” and “Iraqi Genocide”.
Racist White Australia is involved in holocaust commission and genocide commission but is also involved in comprehensive holocaust ignoring, holocaust denial, genocide ignoring and genocide denial – a compelling reason to Boycott Murdoch media and similarly deficient Australian and global Mainstream media (see “Boycott Murdoch Media”: https://sites.google.com/site/boyco... ).
Former president of the highly conservative Australian Liberal Party, John Valder, called for the prosecution of Australian Liberal PM John Howard for war crimes in Iraq: “"Bush, Blair, and Howard, as leaders of the three members of the coalition of the willing, inflicted enormous suffering on the people of Iraq. And, as such, they are criminals. I believe the only deterrent to a repetition of the Iraq situation is punishment in some form as war criminals" (see “Howard is war criminal say s former colleague”, Sydney Morning Herald, 19 July 2004: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004... ).
Similarly, Jewish British writer Harold Pinter in his 2005 Literature Nobel Prize Acceptance speech stated: “The invasion of Iraq was a bandit act, an act of blatant state terrorism, demonstrating absolute contempt for the concept of international law. The invasion was an arbitrary military action inspired by a series of lies upon lies and gross manipulation of the media and therefore of the public; an act intended to consolidate American military and economic control of the Middle East masquerading as a last resort all other justifications having failed to justify themselves as liberation. A formidable assertion of military force responsible for the death and mutilation of thousands and thousands of innocent people. We have brought torture, cluster bombs, depleted uranium, innumerable acts of random murder, misery, degradation and death to the Iraqi people and call it ’bringing freedom and democracy to the Middle East’. How many people do you have to kill before you qualify to be described as a mass murderer and a war criminal? One hundred thousand? More than enough, I would have thought. Therefore it is just that Bush and Blair be arraigned before the International Criminal Court of Justice” (see: https://sites.google.com/site/iraqi... ).
4.6 million? More than enough, I would have thought. I have sent repeated complaints to the International Criminal Court over Australian and US Alliance involvement in the Iraqi Holocaust and other genocidal atrocities (see “9 January 2010 Formal Complaint by Dr Gideon Polya to the International Criminal Court (ICC) re US Alliance Palestinian, Iraqi, Afghan, Muslim, Aboriginal, Biofuel and Climate Genocides”: https://sites.google.com/site/iraqi... ). However the International Criminal Court has remorselessly ignored these concerns and has thus become complicit in the Iraqi Genocide and other genocidal atrocities of Australia and the US Alliance.
Former Australian Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Wilkie resigned his job an intelligence officer with the Office of National Assessments (ONA) just before the invasion of Iraq, stating that the Government had no hard evidence that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction. US president George W Bush, British PM Tony Blair and Australian PM John Howard all gave Iraq’s asserted possession of such WMDs as a reason for the invasion but no concrete evidence existed for the WMD and no WMD were found post-invasion.
Australian hero Andrew Wilkie is now an Independent MP (for the electorate of Denison in Hobart, , Tasmania) and wants former PM John Howard and former foreign minister Alexander Downer to explain to a parliamentary inquiry why Australia sent troops to Iraq in 2003. However it is unlikely that the Iraqi Genocide-complicit Lib-Labs will permit such an inquiry (see: “Wilkie wants Howard to front Iraq inquiry”, ABC News, 11 August 2011: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-... ).
Since the International Criminal Court has no evident intention of trying the culprits it has itself become complicit in the Iraqi Genocide and other atrocities of the US Alliance and Australia. There is an urgent need for eminent scholars and lawyers to set up a transparent international commission to try those responsible for the Iraqi Genocide and related atrocities of Australia and the US Alliance.
The Iraqi Genocide (4.6 million killed) is not the only genocidal atrocity in which racist White Australia has been involved. Below is a concise listing of 24 genocides in which Australia has been involved, of which about 10 are ongoing.
1. 18th-19th century Aboriginal Genocide (the Indigenous Aboriginal population dropped from about 1 million to 0.1 million in the first century after invasion in 1788).
2. Tasmanian Aboriginal Genocide (the “full-blood” Indigenous population dropped from 6,000 to zero in the period 1803-1876; however there are several thousand “mixed race” descendants of Tasmanian and Mainland Aborigines still living in Tasmania today).
3. British Indian Genocide (Indian Holocaust) (post-invasion excess deaths 0.6 billion, 1757-1837; 0.5 billion, 1837-1901 under Queen Victoria; 0.4 billion, 1901-1947; 1.5 billion in total and 1.8 billion victims if the carnage various royalty-ruled Indian British Protectorate States are included).
4. European Chinese Genocide (20-100 million deaths in the European imperialism-driven Tai Ping rebellion period; Australia was involved in suppressing the Boxer rebellion).
5. Maori Genocide (Maori population dropped from 0.1-0.2 million in 1800 to 42,000 in 1893; Australia was involved in the 19th century Maori wars).
6. African Genocide (scores of million perished over 5 centuries of European slavery and colonialism; Australians participated in the Sudan War, 1881-1898).
7. Pacific Genocide (there was a catastrophic population decline due to introduced disease and slavery; thus 40,000 Fijians died from measles out of a population of 150,000 in 1876; “blackbirding” slavery was conducted by Australians in the late 19th century).
8. Boer (Afrikaaner) Genocide (1899-1902; 28,000 Afrikaaner women and children died in British concentration camps; Australians participated in the Boer War as immortalized in the movie “Breaker Morant”).
9. Armenian Genocide (1.5 million killed; the Australian invasion of Gallipoli as part of an Anglo-French force in 1915 helped to precipitate this atrocity; indeed April 24 is Armenian Genocide Day and April 25 is the day of the Australia invasion in 1915 and also a sacred war dead remembrance day for Australians and New Zealanders – it is called Anzac Day after the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) which stormed ashore on that first Anzac Day at Gallipoli in 1915).
10. Bengali Genocide (6-7 million perished in the “forgotten” man-made Bengal Famine atrocity in Bengal and adjoining provinces in British India, 1943-1945; Australians were there and indeed the Governor of Bengal in 1944 was an Australian R.Casey).
11. British post-1950 Third World Genocide (1950-2005 excess deaths in countries subject to British occupation as a major occupier in the post-war era totaled 727 million; Australia has the same Head of State as the UK and continues to be a loyal military ally of the UK in Occupied Iraq and Occupied Afghanistan).
12. US post-1950 Third World Genocide (1950-2005 excess deaths in countries subject to US occupation as a major occupier in the post-war era totaled 82 million; Australia participated in all post-1950 US Asian Wars in Korea, Indo-China, Iraq and Afghanistan with Indigenous Asian violent deaths and excess deaths from war-imposed deprivation now totaling 28 million).
13. Australian Colonial Genocide (1950-2005 excess deaths in countries subject to Australian occupation as a major occupier in the post-war era, namely Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands totaled 2.1 million).
14. 20th century Aboriginal Genocide (total excess deaths clearly of the order of 1million; 0.1 million Stolen Generations Aboriginal children forcibly removed from their Mothers in the 19th and 20th centuries; excess deaths in the 11 years of the Bush-ite Coalition Government totaled 90,000 for 1996-2007).
The following Australia-complicit genocidal atrocities in this catalogue of horrors are ongoing.
15. Palestinian Genocide (post-1967 excess deaths 0.3 million, post-1967 under-5 infant deaths 0.2 million and 7 million refugees; with bi-partisan agreement, pro-Zionist Australia provides diplomatic, financial and haven support for Israeli state terrorism – even when directed against tens of thousands of Australian citizens as in Lebanon in mid-2006 - and up to life imprisonment for anyone giving support to the Hamas Party that overwhelmingly won the 2006 Occupied Palestinian elections, winning 76 out of 132 seats).
16. Iraqi Genocide (4.6 million violent deaths plus excess deaths from war-imposed deprivation, 1990-2011; 2.6 million post-invasion excess deaths, 0.8 million post-invasion under-5 infant deaths and 5-6 million refugees).
17. Afghan Genocide (5.0 million post-invasion violent deaths plus excess deaths from war-imposed deprivation, 2.7 million post-invasion under-5 infant deaths and 3-4 million refugees; Australia involved militarily since 2001).
18. Ongoing Aboriginal Genocide (9,000 excess deaths annually; over 100,000 excess deaths in the recent dozen years of Bush-ite Coalition rule i.e. more avoidable Indigenous deaths in that period than Australian military deaths in all wars).
19. Biofuel Genocide (18 million people die avoidably each year in the Developing Worlds minus China, but this is increasingly biofuel-impacted as the legislatively-mandated US, UK and EU biofuel perversion forces up global food prices; Australia is a major sugar cane grower and sugar exporter with 60% of sugar going to bioethanol production worldwide; Australia has biofuel-promoting legislation and is a major canola grower, this being a major source for biodiesel).
20. Climate Genocide (18 million die avoidably each year already from deprivation and deprivation-exacerbated disease in the Developing World minus China; Professor James Lovelock FRS says that over 6 million will perish this century die to unaddressed climate change; on a per capita basis Australia is among the very worst greenhouse gas (GHG) polluters – in terms of 2005-2008 figures for “fossil fuel-derived annual per capita CO2 pollution” Australia is about 40 times worse than India and 60 times worse than Bangladesh if you include Australia’s world leading coal exports).
21. Tamil Genocide (scores of thousands killed, 0.3 million incarcerated in concentration camps, horrendous human rights abuses; Australia is directly involved in this atrocity by declaring Tamil activists to be “terrorists” under Australia’s draconian anti-terrorism laws, preventing medical aid for Tamils, “suspending” the human rights of Tamil refugees and providing military, diplomatic and lying propaganda assistance to the genocidal Sri Lankan authorities).
22. Muslim Genocide (9.5 million Muslims violently or non-violently killed in the Iraq War, 1990-2011, and Afghan War, 2001-2011, alone; 1950-2005 avoidable deaths from deprivation in the Muslim World totaled 0.6 billion; it is predicted that 3 billion Muslims will die due to unaddressed man-made global warming this century; 20 million Muslim refugees have been created by the US Alliance of which Australia is a slavishly loyal part; Australia is a leading player in the ongoing and worsening Muslim Genocide and Climate Genocide).
23. Asian Genocide (Australia has been involved in all post-1950 US Asian wars, wars that have been associated so far with about 28 million violent deaths plus deaths from war-imposed deprivation, the breakdown being 3 million (Korea), 15 million (Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam), 4.6 million (Iraq), Palestine (0.3 million), 5.0 million (Afghanistan) i.e. about the same number as the number, 30 million, of Slavs, Jews an Gypsies murdered by the Nazis in WW2).
24. Arab Genocide (Australians were involved in massacring Palestinian villagers in WW1; Australians were involved in massacring Egyptian democracy activists in 1919; Australia has been variously involved in the Palestinian Genocide and Iraqi Genocide with violent deaths plus avoidable deaths from deprivation totaling about 5 million).
Australia has finally withdrawn its last soldiers from Occupied Iraq after participating in the Iraqi Holocaust and Iraqi Genocide for 21 years (1990-2011, 4.6 million war-related deaths, 2.0 million under-5 infant deaths, 5-6 million refugees).
The International Criminal Court has no evident intention of trying the culprits and has thus become complicit in the Iraqi Genocide and other atrocities of the US Alliance and Australia.
There is an urgent need for eminent scholars and lawyers to set up a transparent international commission to try those responsible for the Iraqi Genocide and related atrocities of Australia and the US Alliance. The punishment of the perpetrators will simply be formal, expert exposure as mass murderers involved in holocaust and genocide commission and holocaust and genocide denial.
Peace is the only way but silence kills and silence is complicity. Decent people around the World must (a) inform everyone they can about the Iraqi Genocide and (b) impose sanctions and boycotts on the people, politicians, corporations and countries involved in the Iraqi Genocide and like atrocities.
There is nothing more racist than mass murder of other peoples. Sanctions and Boycotts were successfully applied against Apartheid South Africa over its racist policies after the 1960 Sharpeville Massacre (69 dead), including exclusion from the Olympic Games (1962-1992). Apartheid Australia, the UK, the US and other US Alliance countries should be excluded from the Olympic Games for complicity in the continuing Iraqi Genocide (4.6 million war-related deaths, 1990-2011).