Home > ASSEMBLY OF THE SOCIAL MOVEMENTS AT WORLD SOCIAL FORUM CALLS FOR GLOBAL (...)
ASSEMBLY OF THE SOCIAL MOVEMENTS AT WORLD SOCIAL FORUM CALLS FOR GLOBAL ACTION ON MARCH 18by Open-Publishing - Saturday 11 February 2006
Section on war of the statement of the Assembly of the Social Movements, World Social Forum, Venezuala, January 29th.
MARCH 18TH: INTERNATIONAL DAY OF MOBILISATION AGAINST THE
OCCUPATION OF IRAQ AGAINST THE WAR AND OCCUPATIONS. NO MORE WARS. PEACE IS THE ONLY SOLUTION
– We demand the immediate and unconditional withdrawal of foreign troops from Iraq and an end to the privatisation of energy resources.
– We oppose all occupations by foreign troops and demand an end to the Israeli occupation of Palestine. We call for the creation of an independant Palestinian state.
– We oppose intervention in Syria, Iran and Latin American countries, for example Plan Colombia and the presence of foreign military bases. We also oppose the use of economic blockades as a weapon of war, as used for example against Cuba.
– We call for the the elimination of nuclear weapons and weapons of mass destruction.
– We demand respect for human rights, civil liberties and an end to torture, kidnappings and illegal detentions including secret prisons.
– We call for participation in the Cairo Conference in Egypt on the 23 to the 26th March against US hegemonyand the occupation of Iraq.
– We call to everyone to mobilise on March 18th 2006 for a day of global protest against the occupation of Iraq as part of the campaign to get the troops out.
Please send details of demonstrations around March 18th to the website